Industry luminaries from Freescale, National Instrument, Samsung, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and UC Berkeley will all present keynotes at the 50th Design Automation Conference (DAC), the premier conference devoted to electronic design, design automation, embedded systems and software. The 50th DAC will be held at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas from June 2-6, 2013.
“DAC keynotes have been one of the most valuable elements of our conference. That is why we decided to double the number of offered keynotes at this 50th anniversary. The six keynotes this year will focus on different aspects of advances in our ecosystem from semiconductors to embedded systems to smart earth,” said Yervant Zorian, general chair of the 50th DAC. “We have also taken the opportunity presented by having DAC in Austin for the first time to present keynotes by several major Texas-based companies in our industry.”
The five keynotes are:
- Monday, June 3rd at 10:15am: Greg Lowe of Freescale Semiconductor in Austin on Embedded Processing—Driving the Internet of Things. Greg has been the president and CEO of Freescale since June 2012 following a career at Texas Instruments which culminated at senior vice president of analog.
- Monday, June 3rd at 4:00pm: James Truchard of National Instrument in Austin on Looking Ahead to 100 Years—Platform Engineering. James is the president and CEO of National Instruments. He co-founded National Instruments in 1978 where he has led the vision to equip engineers and scientists with tools to accelerate productivity, innovation, and discovery.
- Tuesday, June 4th at 8:30am: DAC’s Executive Committee will highlight the conference events; award presentations will recognize success and excellence for individuals in the industry.
- Tuesday, June 4th at 9:15am: Namsung (Stephen) Woo of Samsung, Korea on New Challenges for Smarter Mobile Devices. Dr Woo is a president of Samsung and GM of the System LSI business. He joined Samsung in 2004 from Texas Instruments.
- Wednesday, June 5th at 11:15am: The Designer Keynote features two speakers: J. Scott Runner of Qualcomm in San Diego and Sanjive Agarwala of Texas Instruments in Dallas. Scott will present on Design and Methodology of Wireless ICs for Mobile Applications: True SoCs Have Come of Age. Sanjive will present on Infrastructure Embedded Processing Systems – Trends and Opportunities. Scott is currently the vice president of advanced methodologies and low power design at Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. He has worked in engineering in the semiconductor and EDA industries for 30 years, including as a founding member of the DesignWare team at Synopsys. Sanjive, a TI fellow and director of worldwide silicon development in processor business at Texas Instruments, is responsible for, among other things, the roadmap and development of TI’s C6x DSP core.
- Thursday, June 6th at 11:00am: Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli of UC Berkeley on Crystal Ball: From Transistors to the Smart Earth. Alberto was instrumental in the founding of both Cadence and Synopsys and is also a Kaufman Award recipient for “pioneering contributions to EDA”. The DAC Best Paper Award also will be presented during this session.
Details of all the keynotes, including outlines and presenter biographies, are all on the DAC website at http://www.dac.com.
50th DAC Celebration
DAC is celebrating its 50th year as the premier conference devoted to the design and automation of electronic systems (EDA). DAC is the oldest and largest conference focused on EDA, embedded systems and software (ESS), and intellectual property (IP). The first DAC was held in 1964 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Half a century later, DAC 2013 is a not-to-miss occasion for the worldwide community of system designers, system architects, IC designers, validation engineers, CAD managers, senior managers, executives, researchers and academics. Along with a robust technical program, the DAC Executive Committee has planned several memorable and exciting events listed below. Details of the event schedule can be found at www.dac.com under 50th DAC Celebration events.
- Sunday, June 2 – 5:30pm, Welcome Reception, Austin Convention Center
- Monday, June 3 – 5:00pm, Global Forum Exhibition unveiling, exhibit floor, booth #137
- Monday, June 3 - 8:00pm, 50th DAC Celebration Event at Austin City Limits. All DAC attendees and exhibitors are invited.
- Wednesday, June 5 – 7:30pm, 50thDAC Awards Banquet, Four Seasons Hotel, Austin
Registration is currently open and the I LOVE DAC exhibition pass registration is available thru May 17, 2013.